Thursday 2 November 2017

Counting Wolves by Michael F. Stewart (Review)

       Depressing but thought provoking, Counting Wolves keeps the reader unsure of reality as the main character struggles to hold back the evil realm of the Dark Wood that wants to destroy everything. Now locked up in the mental ward, the evil Wolf increases its stalking and gets closer then ever to destroying Milly. With her in the ward are many other fairytale themed psychos: Tink, Red, Pig, Wolf and Vanet. As the struggle continues, Milly struggles to figure out what is real, and what is all in her head. 
         An interesting study of the psychology of anxiety, Counting wolves was not what I had been expecting. I came in thinking it would be a novel about magic and fairytales, mixed with an aspect of psychological thriller to it where the world is calling the main characters crazy. I was very wrong. It is actually an in depth look at what it can feel like to suffer from anxiety and other mental illnesses and it was just given a fairytale themed twist. Even though it was not what I thought it was, I actually ended up enjoying and appreciating it. It kept me guessing along with the main character, what was real and what wasn't, as well as gave good analogies to the dread and fear that comes with extreme OCD and anxiety. It gave me perspective. That aside, it was incredibly depressing to read and took me a while to get through for that very reason. Overall, it was not what I expected, but I was not bad. I give it the honest star rating of FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS!!!

*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment