Thursday 9 April 2015

Getting to Know the Authors: Featuring Kayla Howarth!

Bio 
     Kayla was born and raised on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. She still resides there with her husband and son, working part time for a medical pathology lab while working on her writing.
Her love of reading and movies inspired her to start something she never dreamed possible: Writing her first novel.
     When she's not working, looking after her son, or writing, you'll most likely find her hosting her own dance party in the kitchen while she does the dishes. (Where her husband will argue that more dancing is achieved than clean plates.)


What has she written?
She has written The Institute and Resistance!


Now on to the Interview!!
1) How old were you when you started writing, in your opinion?
I loved writing in High School, choosing Literature as an elective subject. I never thought in a million years I’d try to make something of it. I was twenty-eight when I finally realised what I wanted to be when I grew up:  an author.

2)What do you want a reader to gain from reading your works?
I hope that anyone who reads my books can find an escape, get lost in a different world, and forget about reality. Even if it’s just for a little while. 

3) What are your three top suggestions on becoming an author, or being a pleasure writer?
1. Read. A lot. I believe my writing improves with the more books I read. I’ve learned what I like to see as a reader, and what I don’t, and I try to incorporate that into my own writing.
2. Keep writing, even when you’re blocked. I always tell myself that it doesn’t matter how bad the first draft is. It can always be fixed during editing. But having SOMETHING down is better than nothing. It’s moving the story along.
3. Don’t fret about what other people think. Not everyone is going to like your work, and that’s okay.

4) What is your favourite novel, why?
The Hunger Games, and for many reasons. The strong female lead, the originality of the story, the way it’s written. I hadn’t even picked up a book in years, until I saw The Hunger Games at the movies. And even then, it was my husband who bought the books! I started reading them one night and five days later I was finished and suddenly wanting to read every YA book I could get my hands on.

5) Who is your favourite author, why?
Goes without saying that it’s Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games inspired me to begin writing in the first place.

6) What are your favorite pass times besides writing?
Reading is a given. Watching movies. I love ten pin bowling, even though I never have the time to go and I’m really, REALLY bad at it.

7) Who in your life do you credit your imagination to the most?
I have no idea where my overactive imagination comes from. I’ve always had it. 

8) What are the top five things on your bucket list?
See the Northern Lights
Have a white Christmas (don’t get those in Australia!)
Learn archery
Run a half marathon
Own something from Tiffany’s

9) What is your funniest childhood memory?
Maybe not the funniest, but definitely one of my most memorable. Travelling to New Zealand with my family, we were told of a cave that had “invisible water”. Thinking ‘right, whatever’, we went to this cave, climbed down numerous steps, weaved our way through other tourists who were also looking for this ‘magical’ water, only to get to the bottom and see bright aqua water pooled at the bottom of the cave. Needless to say I felt ripped off. Shuffling a little closer, “The water is right there!” I exclaimed.  I turned to see my mother and sisters laughing at me. “Look down,” my mother said. I had stepped in the water and I didn’t even know it! And then I felt it seep into my shoes. I had to trudge all the way back with soaking wet feet.

10) To the youth of today, if you could tell them one thing, what would it be?
May the odds be ever in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment