Monday 13 April 2015

Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles #1) by Amanda Hocking (Review)

    I very much enjoyed the new world that Amanda introduces us to in her new novel Frostfire. I have never before pictured trolls as magical humanoids that are both beautiful and powerful, so it took some getting used to, thinking of the characters as trolls. On top of that, unlike many YA novels, the story actually takes place in Canada, yes the freezing snow covered most of the time Canada. I find that pretty awesome, yah know, being a Canadian. I find that it is rare to find a story taking place in my home and native land. I like it. Living in Canada, I could picture the freezing land the trolls live in quite clearly.
   On to the story it's self. I thought that the characters were very unique, and that the drive that is found in the main female protagonist, Bryn, to be very strong and solid. That definitely helped with rounding her as a character, doing so by giving her a goal that the readers can empathize with. Moving on, and looking at the plot, I did have one or two complaints. I felt like their was not enough twists or "big revelations" to keep the reader as invested as they should be. I found my thoughts wandering during lulls in the story. Coinciding with that, there was some parts of the story left untouched and undeveloped. For example, her charge from the beginning of the novel. Towards the end he just drops off, unmentioned in the rest of the story. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely nitpicking. The story it's self was very interesting and I really enjoyed reading it. I do recommend you at least take a look at Frostfire. I give Frostfire the rating of THREE AND A HALF OUT OF FIVE STARS!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment