Friday 29 August 2014

Getting to Know the Authors: Featuring Skylar Dorset!

  Bio
  Skylar’s first story was a tale of romantic intrigue involving two feuding factions of squirrels. Think “Romeo & Juliet” but with bushy tails and added espionage. She was seven.
    Since that time, Skylar’s head has been filled with lots of characters and lots of drama. She is delighted to be able to share some of it with all of you now, because, honestly, it was getting pretty loud and crowded in there.
    Skylar is a born-and-bred New Englander, which is why Boston was a natural setting for her debut novel, THE GIRL WHO NEVER WAS. Skylar shares her home with a cardboard cutout of the Tenth Doctor, lots of Mardi Gras beads from the time she spent living in New Orleans, and a harp she’s supposed to be teaching herself to play. She’d like to get a dog.

                                         What has she written?
The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld, #1)
by Skylar Dorset
The Girl Who Kissed a Lie (Otherworld #0.5)
by Skylar Dorset
The Boy with the Hidden Name (Otherworld, #2)

     by Skylar Dorset

 Now on to the interview!!

1)How old were you when you started writing, in your opinion?
I think I started when I was born. I just didn’t know how to write yet, so I had to wait to learn that skill. But I always had stories going on in my head, and once I knew how to write, I immediately started writing down stories. I was six when I typed up my first one.

2)What do you want a reader to gain from reading your works?
Fun! I want a reader to be able to read what I write and be able to escape for a little while, hang out with some characters he or she really loves and enjoys spending time with.

3)What are your three top suggestions on becoming an author, or being a pleasure writer?
(A)    Write the thing you want to read. Because then, when you’re done, you’ll be happy you wrote it because you’ll be able to read it! \
(B) Don’t be afraid to be part of a community. Either online or in real life, writing groups can be so fun and you can learn so much. And not just from writing, but from reading other people’s writing. 
(C) Don’t be too self-critical. Don’t freeze yourself up. Get it out of you, and then worry about the polish later.

4)What is your favourite novel, why?
Oof, picking just one is hard but I’m going to go with “Watership Down,” by Richard Adams, because it has fantastic world-building, unforgettable characters, and a plot that has you on the edge of your seat by the end.

5)Who is your favourite author, why?
J.K. Rowling, because she’s basically the queen, because she opened my eyes to how awesome writing really can be, and because she taught me how to plot.

6)What are your favorite pass times besides writing?
I’m so boring. I basically watch a lot of television and poke around on the Internet. I do bake pretty often.

7)Who in your life do you credit your imagination to the most?
Well, as with everything, my parents.

8)What are the top five things on your bucket list?
I don’t have much of a bucket list these days, because I’m pretty content, I have to say. Publishing a book was a pretty big bucket list item, after all! But if I had to list some, I’d say: 
(1) Fly first-class to Europe. 
(2) Take one of those really decadent spa vacations. 
(3) Go to the Oscars, preferably as a nominee. 
(4) Buy a really incredibly fancy pair of shoes. 
(5) Live by the sea.

9)What is your funniest childhood memory?
My childhood was basically nothing but laughter, which is a very good thing. I can’t just pick one!

10)To the youth of today, if you could tell them one thing, what would it be?

Enjoy every single second of it. You wouldn’t believe how fast time flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment